2. You don't need as many Grape-Nuts as you think you do. They are denser than any other cereal; denser, even, than many a rock.
3. You might think from point #2 that I dislike Grape-Nuts. Actually I like them.
4. Am reading George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. So far, so good. Very similar to Robert Jordan in subject matter and structure, but thankfully much cleaner writing. Also, unlike Jordan's, Martin's teenage characters do not act like they just stepped off the WB.
5. Speaking of which, is it me, or does every preview for a new episode of 'The O.C.' involve one teenage boy punching another?
6. No, I don't watch 'The O.C.' No, I don't want to, either.
7. My eldest sister, a certified nurse-midwife in the Portland area, has the best stories. There was the one about the girl who ran away with a circus and then got pregnant, and wanted to know if there was a test to see if your baby has webbed feet. (Answer: there is; and your baby does. Congratulations, Freakshow Frog Man, you're a father.) This weekend my sister told me about another couple: the father was wearing a "Whoop Ass" T-shirt in the delivery room, and snacking on pepperoni sticks and sour-cream-and-onion potato chips, and saying he liked the name "Savage Hunter" in case it was a boy. Why? Because he's a hunter, and Savage is his favorite kind of gun. My sister, remarkably good at the straight face, suggested "Colt" or "Remington" as alternatives. He liked those as well. Fortunately they had a girl, and named her something normal. I tell you this just in case you thought Oregon was nothing but hippies. In truth we have the other extreme too, and everything in between.
8. I say "we" even though I live in Washington now. Oregon is where I was born, but besides that, Oregon and Washington are pretty much the same big state (Pacificnorthwestia) in the minds of their residents.
9. I expect to get howls of protest from Oregonians and Washingtonians alike for saying that.
10. I don't care. The internet doesn't matter.
11. So, any sneak-preview reviews out for 'Goblet of Fire' yet? The internet's good for distributing those, at least.