Sometimes you encounter crossover or alternate-universe fanfics in which the Internet or TV or some other modern innovation (e.g., hair dryers, usually in conjunction with Pretty Elves) exists in Middle-Earth. So here's my flippant off-the-cuff list of...
Top Ten Advantages of Introducing Modern Technology to L.O.T.R.
Warning: possible spoilers.
10. Shampoo, electric razors, deodorant. Enough said. (Excepting Legolas, who doesn't appear to need these.)
9. Text message from Gandalf to Frodo: "It's OK, I'm alive. U guys in Mordor yet?"
8. Voice of Saruman could probably be shouted down with bullhorn.
7. Mithril vest for one member of Fellowship: good. Kevlar vests for all nine members of Fellowship: better.
6. Shock collar on Gollum would ensure he couldn't go sneaking ahead.
5. Cell phone call from Theoden to Eomer: "Yeah, we need you to turn around and come meet us at Helm's Deep. Right now. Oh, and bring the tank."
4. Anti-aircraft artillery very effective against flying Nazgul.
3. Shelob's Lair much easier to navigate with night-vision goggles.
2. Swords and Light of Earendil: good. Giant can of Raid sprayed directly into spider's eyes: better.
1. Attach Ring to atomic bomb. Have Gwaihir-the-eagle drop it on Mount Doom. Problem solved.
Feel free to suggest others. Granted, there would be serious disadvantages too - imagine if Sauron and Saruman got hold of heat-seeking missiles or whatnot. But this is just for fun, so let's not get too heavy.
And please note: I AM NOT BEING SERIOUS AND I DO REALIZE IT WOULD RUIN THE ENTIRE PLOT TO INTRODUCE MODERN INNOVATIONS.
Sorry about that. Sometimes people are humor-impaired and I need to put the Sarcasm Alert Sticker two inches in front of their eyes before they get it.